FELLOWSHIPS FOR RESEARCH
PLEASE READ ALL INFORMATION CAREFULLY BEFORE STARTING THE APPLICATION.
Only academic and scientific staff of foreign higher education and research institutions are eligible candidates for the Latvian State Fellowship for Research.
The fellowship is granted for a period of up to 5 months.
Deadline - 1st April of the current year.
An applicant has to register in the system and make a profile with a unique login and password. On-line application form is here
After that, an application form can be filled in on-line and the necessary documents can be attached there as well.
The system will require that the following documents should be uploaded:
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) and a list of academic publications. Please use the EuroPass template – link
• Research plan. The detailed operational plan of your research with the significant results of your research (scientific articles, monography, etc.) should be provided. The Academy’s coordinator
of your research activity must accept the plan of research.
• Letter of motivation (confirmation of research necessity, why you have decided to make your research in Latvia, previous scientific works connected with Latvia, etc. - approx. 3 pages).
• Photocopy of the most recent higher education degree/qualification obtained, including diploma supplement (if applicable).
• Copy of a letter of recommendation from one academic staff member of your Home higher education or research institution, signed within the last three months.
• A copy of a letter of the Academy, confirming your opportunity do research work in the chosen study direction and informing about the language of research (Latvian or other EU official language).
Please send to the contact person of the Academy, Ms. Inta Buka your CV and diploma supplement (or transcript of records of the last two semesters if studies are not completed yet) as well as other documentation from the list for the confirmation letter receiving.
• A copy of a certificate or other document certifying the language proficiency required for research - link
• Copy of an ID (identification document) or a passport.
Attention! All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English.
Attention! Any incomplete applications will not be considered.
The amount of the Latvian Fellowship for Research is 30,00 EUR per day and 300,00 EUR for accommodation per month.
The fellowship holder is expected to stay in Latvia for the full duration of the proposed period. If you are absent from the Academy more than 14 consecutive days, his/her fellowship will be terminated.
Please take into account that the amount of the fellowship for research can be not high enough to cover all expenses in Latvia. You should think carefully before applying.
Requests for accommodation at the Student hotels should be submitted one month before arriving at the Academy. You can find all information about accommodation by link.
Please, take into account that the cost is variable. Alternatively, foreign researchers may consider renting an apartment in the city.
The Latvian Fellowship for Research cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
The Latvian Fellowship for Research does not cover travel expenses from a home country to and from Latvia.
Fellowship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage. Information about insurance
Scholarships for applicants from one country may not exceed 10% from the total grant amount for study scholarships.
EVALUATION OF APPLICATIONS AND INFORMATION ON RESULTS
All applications will be evaluated and the final decision on granting Fellowship for Research will be made by the evaluation committee of the State Education Development Agency.
The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of the State Education Development Agency: www.viaa.gov.lv/scholarshipsat. All candidates will receive an official decision sent by e-mail.